Everglades Trip

Everglades Adventure

Bike Riding at Sunset

I recently took a trip through a community college to the Everglades National Park. During this trip, I learned in a hands on environment about the ecology and beauty of this unique habitat. My instructor prefaced the trip by saying, "Don't expect to find yourself down there. Expect your mind to be jumbled up and needing rearranging. You will leave with many more questions than answers." I can attest to this statement being 100% true.

Snorkeling in Bahia Honda

During this adventure, our group went snorkeling in the coral reefs off of Bahia Honda Key, biked through Shark Valley, explored an abandoned Nike missile site from the cold war, canoed in the labyrinth of mangroves, watched the one of a kind sunset from our campground in Flamingo, and went chest deep in the cypress swam, getting a closeup encounter with one of Florida's American Alligators.

Red-Shouldered Hawk
I learned first hand about human nature when going out looking for snakes one night. Our group came across the infamous, invasive Burmese Python. Rather than calling the park rangers to control a situation they are trained to handle, a student took it upon himself to take care of the animal himself. The group became split afterwards, taking sides between the rights of the snake and the greater good of the National Park.

Alligator Blocking the Trail in Shark Valley

 The minor set backs in the trip only added to the learning experience and made it more memorable. For as long as I live, this journey, its lessons, and the friendships made, will follow me until the day I die. This trip didn't help me figure out who I am, but only structured and reinforced the way I think and live life already. I know the true value, beauty, and mysteries that nature has to offer must be protected for everyone, and I am willing to take on that challenge.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk Cyce

Overlapping Action

Bouncing Ball Animation